Sunday, April 26, 2009

Kemp's Black Beans

I made this epicurious recipe for black beans.  I had the beans cooked, and couldn't find sherry at the downstairs grocery, so I subbed port.  I had to reduce the liquid, as my 3 cups water to one cup beans was too much.  Here's what I did...

  • 1 cup dried black beans
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup port
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

  1. Soak the beans overnight.
  2. Cook in soaking water for 45 minutes-1 hour.
  3. Saute the onion in olive oil.  Add beans and salt when the onion is soft.  Add port, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar, to taste.  Simmer, uncovered, about five minutes.
The beans were tastier the next day, as reviewers had noted.  They weren't spectacular, however they were nice, and a good healthy meal for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment