I’ve had this recipe from a Spilled Milk podcast pegged since St. Patrick’s Day, but it wasn’t until now that I ended up with the cabbage and potatoes to make it happen. That said, I made quite a few changes, mixing in this recipe as well. Here’s what I did:
- 1 pound cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 pound potatoes , diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small leek, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 3 T. butter
- In a large saucepan, sauté cabbage in 2 T. butter until tender. Meanwhile, boil potatoes in salted water until tender. Remove from heat and drain.
- While cabbage and potatoes are cooking (if you have enough pans), simmer leeks in milk, until they are soft.
- Add remaining butter and leeks to potatoes and mash well. Stir in cabbage and mix well.
Comments: Creamy, yet so much more flavorful than mashed potatoes (I love potatoes, but mashed have never been a favorite). I look forward to making this again.