Friday, October 22, 2010

Lentil Squash Soup

I had half a sqash left over from my Butternut Sqash and Carmelized Onion Galette, and decided to adapt Rachel’s Lentil Soup recipe for the occassion. Here’s what I did:

Ingredients

  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 fennel bulb, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 lb. winter squash
  • 1 cup of lentils, rinsed and picked over
  • 1/2 tbsp cumin
  • 1/2 tbsp curry
  • 4 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 1/4 cup additional low-sodium vegetable broth or 1/4 cup of cream

Directions:

  1. Heat the olive oil and add the carrots, fennel, and onions.
  1. Cook for about 3 minutes, until the veggies soften. Add the garlic, squash, lentils, cumin, and curry, and stir. Heat for another minute.
  1. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to low and let simmer for 25 minutes.
  1. For the last 15 minutes, don’t stir at all; the veggies will rise to the top. Skim the veggies off the top and puree with the cream or extra broth.
  1. Stir the pureed soup back into the pot.

Comments: I made this late at night (really late!), so it didn’t occur to me to add bullion to the water I subbed for broth, and perhaps this is why the soup came out a tad bland. Nothing that some hot sauce can’t cure, but I’ll probably stick to my Syrian Lentil and Chard soup next time around.

The sad supermercado near me had no celery, which lead to the fennel substitution.

No comments:

Post a Comment