Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Leek and Swiss Chard Tart

IMG_2440

Still working my way through tart crusts, I landed on this recipe, also courtesy of Deb at Smitten Kitchen:

Ingredients:

  • 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of 17.3-ounce package), thawed (I used a ready made crust)
  • 2 T. butter (I used 1 T.)
  • 3 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), coarsely chopped (I used 2 leeks)
  • 1 t. dried thyme
  • 1/2 bunch Swiss chard, ribs removed, leaves chopped (about 2 1/2 cups) (I used a whole bunch)
  • 1 1/4 cups whipping cream (I used 1/4 c. cream and one cup whole milk)
  • 3 large eggs (I used 4 eggs)
  • 2 large egg yolks (I skipped this, with the extra egg above)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (oops! Forgot this!)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (uh…I think I put in 1 T.)
  • Pinch of ground nutmeg (and this was forgotten—this is why I need to cook without the distractions of great conversation)

Directions:

    1. Roll out pastry on floured work surface to 12-inch square. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Trim overhang to 1 inch. Fold under; crimp edges. Cover; chill.
    2. Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add leeks and thyme. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover; cook until leeks are very tender but not brown, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add chard; saute until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
    3. Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 425°F. Whisk cream and next 5 ingredients in large bowl. Mix in cooled leek mixture. Pour filling into crust.
    4. Bake tart 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake until filling is puffed and just set in center, about 15 minutes longer (this took my oven about 10 minutes longer). Transfer to rack; cool 10 minutes.

IMG_2439

Comments: This is the perfect example of why I usually cook alone. I was chatting with friends my whole way through this, and not referencing the recipe several times over. However, it seems like a solid recipe when you account for my errors. I’ll probably try this again when I’m in the mood for a tarta de verduras. It felt like it was missing cheese, but that may have just been something I needed to counteract my accidental pepper dump.

No comments:

Post a Comment