Sunday, October 31, 2010

Colcannon

I’ve had this recipe from a Spilled Milk podcast pegged since St. Patrick’s Day, but it wasn’t until now that I ended up with the cabbage and potatoes to make it happen. That said, I made quite a few changes, mixing in this recipe as well. Here’s what I did:

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound cabbage, sliced thin
  • 1 pound potatoes , diced into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 small leek, sliced thin
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg
  • 3 T. butter

Directions:

  1. In a large saucepan, sauté cabbage in 2 T. butter until tender. Meanwhile, boil potatoes in salted water until tender. Remove from heat and drain.
  2. While cabbage and potatoes are cooking (if you have enough pans), simmer leeks in milk, until they are soft.
  3. Add remaining butter and leeks to potatoes and mash well. Stir in cabbage and mix well.

Comments: Creamy, yet so much more flavorful than mashed potatoes (I love potatoes, but mashed have never been a favorite). I look forward to making this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment