Saturday, December 26, 2009

Peach Oat Bran Scones

My friend Jen used to always make these super healthy scones full of exotic flours and bran, so when I had oat bran left over from these, I decided to see what I could do.

I found this recipe for apple scones, and saved it at a time when I had apples on hand. When I got around to making it, I only had a peach, so I used that instead. Here’s what I did:

INGREDIENTS

1 ½ c all-purpose flour

1 ½ c. whole wheat flour

1 c Oat or wheat-bran flaked

4 ts Baking powder

1 ts Ground cinnamon

1/2 ts Salt

1/4 c Milkpeach

1/4 c Vegetable oil

1/4 c sugar

1 lg Egg

1 t. vanilla

1 peach

PREPARATION

1. Heat oven to 425F. Grease large baking sheet. In large bowl, combine flour, oat bran, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.

2. In medium-size bowl, beat together milk, oil, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients; mix lightly with fork until mixture clings together and forms a soft dough. Add peaches, and carefully mix to incorporate into the dough.

3. Form dough into a ball, and press into a disk, about an inch and a half thick. Cut into 8 triangles (I only got six, but my measurements were probably off due to the Argentine estimation system), and separate so the individual pieces are not touching.

017

4. Place scones, 1 inch apart, on greased baking sheet. Pierce tops with tines of fork. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with additional cinnamon, if desired.

5. Bake scones 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Comments: These are quite healthy and granola-y t asting. They remind me of bran muffins more than anything else, so the peach helps with the dryness. And they weren’t too dry. I might make these again, but I’m not running to the dietetica for more oats at the moment. These are better (though obviously not as nutritous).

021

No comments:

Post a Comment