This is a great recipe, also a Craigslist classic , that I make whenever I have extra ricotta laying around.
Makes 6 scones
1/2 cup light ricotta cheese (or regular)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees, and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg, lemon juice and lemon rind.
3. Mix well with a fork until well combined and not very lumpy. (Do not mix until all lumps disappear).
5. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
6. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
7. Stir in cheese mixture lightly, then combine quickly.
8. Be careful not to overmix, knead no more than 10 times.
9. You may need to add another tablespoon of lemon juice depending on your flour, dough should be slightly sticky and shiny.
10. Place on the baking sheet, and pat into 3/4 inch thickness.
11. Cut round into 6 wedge-shaped pieces.
12. Move scones so they are not touching, and dust with sugar and cinnamon.
13. Back 15-20 minutes, or until browned.
Comments: I am having disastrous results with our oven! However, once I scraped way the top and bottom of these, they still tasted great. I just needed two instead of one. They’ll be prettier when you make them.