Saturday, May 15, 2010

Tomato Tart (Best of Craigslist)

I've had this Craigslist recipe forever, but kept passing it up for the fabulous Tarte a la Moutarde. However, the time came when I was in the mood for something new—and possibly facing an olive craving? And it was time to try a new tomato tart.

1 Pre-baked pie crust (I used this recipe from Smitten Kitchen)
4 onions, sliced in rounds, then sliced in half
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup of Dijon mustard
2 medium-large sized tomatoes, sliced
6 canned Kalamata olives, thinly sliced
6 regular Spanish olives with pimentos, thinly sliced
1/2 to 3/4 cup or of fresh finely grated parmesan cheese
good drizzle of olive oil
1 heaping tablespoon of snipped chives

  1. Caramelize onions in olive oil as long as it takes to get them that lovely brown color on low heat. During the last 10-15 minutes toss in the garlic and cook.
  2. When tart crust is done and cool, slather the bottom with mustard. Spoon in the onions and spread evenly. Slice the tomatoes and cover the onions with them, overlapping them.
  3. Toss on the sliced olives. Sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven until the top is brown, 10 to 15 minutes. I used the broiler briefly to get it brown on top.
  4. Snip chives on top. Serve.

Comments: I followed the recipe up until the chives, as I just didn't have them. Well, and I made the pie crust in a cake pan, which wasn't exactly a successful substitution. The tart was yummy, I think I have an unhealthy addiction to tomato tarts, but the Tarte a la Moutarde is still my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment