Monday, May 31, 2010

Texas TVP Chili

I had a ton of chipotles in adobo left after my Adzuki Butternut Squash soup, so I was in search of more chipotle-friendly recipes, and found Captious' Texas Tofu Chili. Here's what I did:

For the TVP:

  • 2 cups TVP, either in granules or larger chunks

  • 2 Tbs. peanut butter

  • 3 Tbs. soy sauce

  • 1/4 cup tomato sauce (from a 14 ounce can)

  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

  • 1 ¾ c. liquid (I used flat stout beer I had laying around)

For the chili:

  • 1 Tbs. olive oil

  • 2 onions (diced)

  • 6 cloves garlic (diced)

  • 1 bell pepper

  • 1 jalepeno pepper

  • 5 Tbs. chili powder

  • 1 T. chipotle chiles (in adobo)

  • 1 Tbs. cumin

  • 1.5 cups pinto beans, soaked, cooked, and lightly salted

  • 1.5 cups tomato sauce (rest of 14 ounce can)

  • 4.5 cups bean cooking/TVP soaking liquid (supplement with vegetable broth, water liquid)

  • 3 cups whole tomatoes or diced with juice

  • 1-1.5 tsp. salt

  • 1 tsp. oregano

  • 1 cup corn

Mix together peanut butter, garlic powder, soy sauce, and tomato sauce and TVP hydrating liquid. Heat to a boil, and add TVP, taking off heat. Heat 1 Tbs. of oil in a large stockpot. Sauté peppers, onions, jalepeno, and garlic together, chili powder, and cumin. If using large chunks of TVP, cut. Next add the TVP, pinto beans, the tomatoes, the rest of the tomato sauce, and the bean cooking liquid. Season with salt and oregano. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add the corn. For the best flavor let sit overnight.

Comments: This was good, I actually don't notice a huge difference in most chili recipes. I think I'd leave out the TVP next time, as I didn't find it necessary, and probably go with a simpler recipe, as I'm not sure the peanut butter and soy sauce added much. I ended up adding a lot more chili powder (3 T?) to get the flavor I was after.

No comments:

Post a Comment