Monday, January 4, 2010

Enchilada Sauce sans tomato

I usually fall back on this 10-Minute Enchilada sauce, which is tasty with its 1/4 cup chili powder, but I was in the mood to try something different, and decided to go with this one.

  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 5 tablespoons hot chili powder
  • 4 1/2 cups vegetable
  • 1/2 (1 ounce) square semisweet chocolate
  1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.
  2. Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.

Comments: This was good, I was surprised at not missing the tomato taste, although I had to omit the chocolate (due to not having any). I also used bouillon instead of broth, and simply mixed it with less water rather than using the full amount and reducing it. However, I think I still enjoy the 10 minute sauce best.

012

No comments:

Post a Comment