Saturday, November 6, 2010

Smashed Chickpea Salad

I’ve been riffing on this recipe forever, but never had all the ingredients together to make it properly and test it as it’s meant to be. Finally, I got my fresh parsley, and went at it!

Ingredients:

  • 2 c. chickpeas, drained
  • 2 T. chopped black olives
  • 1 T. finely chopped onion (red is recommended, but I can never find it)
  • 1 T. chopped fresh parsley
  • Zest and juice from half a lemon
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • olive oil (to taste)

Directions:

  1. Mix everything but the olive oil in a small to midsize bowl. Very lightly smash the chickpea mixture with the back of a fork or a potato masher (I prefer to pulse a couple times in my mini-food processor). Add the olive oil, mix it lightly and enjoy.

This would be great in pita bread (maybe with more onion, tomatoes, etc.), I like it scooped up on crackers. Deb has additional serving ideas.

Comments: After ad-libbing through this a half-dozen times and loving it, I actually felt like something was missing when I strictly followed the recipe. Maybe this was due to a cold I had coming on? Or maybe I was missing my Provencal mix I used to substitute for fresh parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment