Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ultimate Peanut Butter Cup Cake

I had a full day ahead of me and a craving for a cooking adventure (one last hurrah before my roommates returned and I had to go back to sharing the kitchen), so I clicked through some archived recipes, and came across the Ultimate Peanut Butter Cup Cake recipe posted by The Voracious Vegan.

I had to make some changes, so here’s how I did it.

2 1/3 cup all-purpose flour

2 t. baking powder

½ t. baking soda

¼ t. salt

1½ c. granulated sugar

½ c. natural peanut butter

1/3 c. butter at room temperature

1 c. milk

¼ cup mashed banana

2 t. vinegar

1 t. vanilla extract

1 c./180 grams chocolate

1 c. natural peanut butter

½ c. powdered sugar

1/3 c. butter at room temperature

Pre-heat the oven to 350F and oil and flour two 8-inch round cake pans. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, peanut butter, and butter and beat until fluffy. Beat in the milk, banana, vinegar, and vanilla extract. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir until just combined. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool.

Melt the chocolate chips in a double-broiler over gently simmering water. Combine the melted chocolate with the peanut butter, powered sugar, and butter and until fluffy.

Remove the cooled cakes from the pans and spread about one-third of the frosting over 1 of the cakes. Place the other cake over it and frost the top and sides. Cover and store in the refrigerator until serving time.

007

Comments: This was rich and delicious, though not as awe-inspiring as I expected from The Voracious Vegan’s buildup of the recipe. It was great though, as I had all the ingredients, and made my first cake in Argentina’s crazy (unpredictable) gas ovens!

No comments:

Post a Comment