Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Chickpea “sliders”

After my initial bean-burger success, I eagerly raced on…after hearing great reviews of this recipe, adapted by 30 Bucks A Week here. And they were fabulous, so much flavor, I wouldn’t dream of hiding them in a burger, but try them as you like…here’s the recipe with MY adaptations…

Middle Eastern Chickpea Sliders

Adapted from Cooking Light, November 2009

· about 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I used these as I have tons, but I’d prefer to use the potato in the original recipe)

· 3 T. oil, 3 tablespoons, divided (I used olive oil for the first T, followed by canola)

· 1 large clove garlic

· 2 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas

· 1 T. minced celery leaves (I subbed these for the parsley since they’re what I had on hand, and it was a great move)

· Salt, 1/2 teaspoon (or more, I salted to taste)

· Lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon

· 1/4 t. cumin

· 1 T. onion flakes (because I had them)

· Pepper, 1/4 teaspoon

· 1 T. chia seeds soaked in 1/2 cup water (I had no eggs on hand, but also like that this made the recipe vegan)

Process all ingredients in a food processor (or mash and mix by hand) until well blended. Stir in remaining chickpeas. Form small patties with the mixture, about 2 heaping tablespoons each patty.

Heat one tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add patties to pan, cook over medium heat for four minutes and turn over and cook for another four minutes. Work in batches if your pan isn’t big enough.

Makes about 9 patties.

So, I loved these! They were fairly crumbly which could be due to the lack of potato or eggs, but the taste was phenomenal, and they are quite healthy, especially if you can reduce the oil used to cook them (my one beef with the recipe).

No comments:

Post a Comment