Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Butternut Squash Soup

This is one of my favorite recipes at home, and I made it for the special occasion of splurging on cream cheese. However, it just didn't turn out the same. I subbed rosemary for marjoram and hot pepper flakes for cayenne, however, I think the bigger problem was my lack of a blender. I used a submersion tool that just didn't do it. I'll try blending the leftovers a bit more, and see if it improves with time and further blending.

Butternut Squash Soup (adapted from AllRecipes)

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 small chopped onion
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
  • 3 cups water
  • 4 cups bouillon
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 4 oz cream cheese

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
  2. Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment