Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Butternut Squash Gnocchi

Ugh, disaster!  Cecilia assured me it was a simple process, so I went about it in a simple way.  I thought I was following the following recipe, more or less, but after reading it through more carefully, I realize I hadn’t read it through once to begin with.

I roasted the squash, and let it cool, but failed to drain it.  I then had to add a lot of flour to get it to a workable consistency, and in the process kneaded the dough for a long time.  I also forgot salt.  The resulting gnocchi was very tough and chewy.  It also made a lot, for the small amount of squash I started with.  I’m not sure if I’ll be making this again any time soon, due to the quantity, and being uncertain how it will turn out, if I decide to make it for guests.  Another good reference site I found (after the fact) is here.

 

I N G R E D I E N T S

·         1 butternut squash (about 1-1/2pounds)

·         2 large eggs, lightly beaten

·         1 1/4 teaspoons salt

·         1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

 

I N S T R U C T I O N S 

  1. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 F.
  2. Cut the squash in half lengthwise, through the stem end, and place on a greased cookie sheet. Roast until tender, about 35 minutes.
  3. When cool enough to handle, scoop out and discard the seeds. Remove squash flesh (pulp) and place in a sieve. Set the sieve over a bowl to catch liquid and allow squash to drain in a refrigerator overnight.
  4. The next day, puree the squash in a food processor. Transfer puree to a bowl and add the eggs and salt, stirring to combine. Add the flour and blend thoroughly.  The dough should feel sticky and soft.
  5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Using a teaspoon, form walnut-sized pieces of dough and push them off the spoon and into the water with your fingers.  Alternately, use a pastry bag and a small knife.
  6. Cook the gnocchi in small batches, 10 to 15 pieces. Once the gnocchi have risen to the surface, poach for exactly 2 minutes. Remove gnocchi with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain. Repeat until all the dough is used up.

No comments:

Post a Comment