Saturday, September 25, 2010

Chipotle Hummus

I’ve had a ton of chipotle peppers in adobo, since every recipe seems to use just a bit, so I decided to try some chipotle hummus. I found this recipe at AllRecipes, and was enamored by the addition of both chipotles AND some healthy veggies.

Ingredients
  • 2 (15.5 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup tahini (sesame-seed paste)
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
  • 6 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • ground black pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Place the garbanzo beans, water, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, chipotle pepper, garlic, and cumin in the bowl of a food processor; blend until smooth. Add the red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Pulse the mixture until the ingredients are coarsely chopped into the hummus base. Transfer to a serving bowl, cover, and chill until ready to serve.

Verdict: I had to omit the tahini and cilantro, as the tahini is super-expensive here, and cilantro wasn’t available. However, I read other reviews that omitted the cilantro as well, with no ill effects. I added about a teaspoon of peanut butter, but didn’t want to add too much. That said, it wasn’t rich and creamy, but tasted watery. I think it’s due to the veggies. However, it makes a lot, so I have plenty left to experiment with.

No comments:

Post a Comment